Sunday 27 April 2014

Professional Practice Module


Professional Practice Module

For this module, I with several other students, had to plan and run an exhibition based on a common theme. Our title was 'It's About Time' and each of us interpreted the theme in our own way by producing a piece of work for the exhibition. 
My focus continued to be on the landscape of the South West and in this case I chose the fault in the cliff face at Aust, under the old Severn bridge. 

Dodging tides over Christmas to collect rock samples and take photos of the cliff face and famous fault line was my starting point.

I chose to highlight the passing of time in relation to the landscape. By looking back at the Earth's surface through the ages. The time bands of the past were clearly visible, particularly at the top of the fault line with distinct colour changes.

Parts of the collected rocks I ground down to a dust and added this to my pigments in the painting as well as using some of the rocks to actually paint with to add texture.

These rocks and minerals are over 200 million years old so my painting became the landscape.

The remaining dust was collected and placed in labelled pots.


These I displayed next to the parent rocks and labelled with a time line in order to show the passage through from the Triassic and jurassic periods to the present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment