Sunday 27 April 2014

Landscape in weave

Making America Exhibition

I have at last started my exhibit for the American Museum 'Making America' exhibition to be held in June this year. Inspired by the beautiful Navajo rugs in the museum and the history of the 'Long walk' of the Navajos to the Bosque Redondo reservation in New Mexico back in the 1860's, my piece will be in the form of three long strips of narrow weave to reflect the 300 miles of the journey they undertook.



This is a rough guide to the colours I intend to use beginning with fine vibrant reds and oranges, going through to more medium oranges and yellows and finishing with coarser pale yarns in  siennas and grey.

The first strip begins with my version of a Navajo design. Using the colours red black and white in distorted diamond bands that will travel the landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment